If you are scheduled for cancer treatment due to a recent diagnosis or relapse, oral health is probably not your first priority. But the team at Falls Pointe Dental in Raleigh counsels you to give some attention to your teeth to prevent or minimize common cancer-related dental complications.
According to the National Institutes of Health, cancer treatment can take a heavy toll on dental health.
Common Complications of Chemotherapy and/or Radiation
- Inflammation of the mucous membranes
- Viral, bacterial, and fungal infections
- Mouth dryness (increases risk of cavities)
- Poor nutrition due to eating difficulties
- Mouth pain
- Oral bleeding
- Lifelong risk of tooth decay
- Loss of elasticity of masticatory muscles (may make opening mouth difficult)
- Bone recession due to decreased blood flow
- Tooth loss
At Falls Pointe Dental in Raleigh, we want to help you maintain your dental health before, during, and after cancer treatment. Our services include general and cosmetic dentistry. We extend to our dental patients battling cancer our sincere hopes for your successful treatment. Please schedule a checkup with us today. It is a pleasure to serve your dental needs.